Computer Skills Curriculum
Telecomputing Lesson Plan
Other Curriculum Objectives that can be addressed by this lesson plan English
Language Arts 2.1, 2.2, 4.1; Information Skills 2.1; Social Studies: (Gr. 5) 11.3; Computer Skills: (Gr. 5) 1.2
Competency 1.2: Identify computers as tools for accessing current information.
Measure 1.2.2: Discuss and write a paragraph on how accessing current database
information with a computer improves the work of a pharmacist, home supply clerk, motel
manager, or agriculture extension agent.
Materials Needed: A copy of the Instant Access Worksheet
for each member of the class.
Time: One class session.
Glossary of Telecomputing Terms
Grade 5 Glossary
- 1. Remind students that a computer can be a tool for accessing information.
- 2. Ask them if they know of any people who might use a computer to access information in
- 3. Explain that many online information services update their information daily and even
hourly and that this makes being able to access the information using a computer very
important to many people. As an example, describe how people who work in banks use
computers to check on account balances in banks in other cities.
- 4. Divide the class into groups of three or four and hand out the Instant Access
Worksheet to each member of the class. Explain that each group is to discuss a different
type of information that would it be important to receive quickly for a pharmacist, home
supply clerk, motel manager, or agriculture extension agent and write the types of
information down on their worksheets. Have the students work in groups for about 10
- 5. End the group work and have students use the rest of the class session to write a
paragraph on why it would be important for each of the workers to be able to access the
information using a computer.
- 6. Have several students read their type of information for one of the workers and their
Have each student to write a paragraph (word process, if possible) to support the
phrase: "A motel manager in 1994 has many advantages that a motel manager in 1954 did
not have because today's manager uses a computer to access information."
Instant Access Activity
Use the Instant Access Worksheet for group discussions.