Computer Skills Curriculum
Telecomputing Lesson Plan
Title: Tele-Concentration Activity
Other Curriculum Objectives that can be addressed by this lesson plan
Information Skills 2.1; Computer Skills: (Gr.
Competency 2.4: Identify telecomputing terms (e.g., modem, upload, download,
bulletin board, E-mail).
Measure 2.4.1: Using two sets of index cards, one with telecomputing terms and
the other with definitions, play a concentration game matching the terms with the
Materials Needed: A watch or clock for keeping time, a copy of Definition Sheet I and Definition Sheet II
for each group of students with the definitions cut apart, a set of index cards (two for
each term; one with the word and one with the definition) for each group of students.
Time: Two class sessions.
Terms: Telecomputing, Modem, Upload, Download, Bulletin Board Service, E-mail,
Log on, Log off, Internet, Information Highway
Glossary of Telecomputing Terms
Grade 5 Glossary
- 1. Identify groups of five students each.
- 2. Announce to the class that tomorrow they will be working in groups to learn some
words related to telecomputing. Provide each student two words with definitions, and
explain that they will be responsible for becoming experts on each word before tomorrow.
- 3. Explain that as a homework assignment, each student is also to devise a way to teach
all of the members of their group the two words that they have been assigned. Explain that
they will have only ten minutes to teach their two words.
- 1. Arrange the class into the groups that were established during the previous session.
For each group, assign the numbers 1 to 5 to the group members.
- 2. Explain to the groups that student one will be the first group teacher and that the
group teacher will have ten minutes to teach them their two telecomputing words. Then
student two will be the group teacher, and so on.
- 3. Check your watch or clock for the time, and tell student one to begin. At the end of
ten minutes have the next student begin. Continue this until each student has been a group
- 4. Give each group a prepared set of index cards (see materials above). Have a member of
the group shuffle the cards and then arrange them on a floor or table face down.
- 5. For the remainder of the class session, have the groups play concentration. Each
student can turn up two cards with the goal of having a term match the appropriate
definition. If the match does not occur, the cards should be turned back down and the next
student given a turn.
Given a sheet of paper with telecomputing terms and definitions, have the students
match the terms with the correct definition.