Computer Skills Curriculum
Telecomputing Lesson Plan
Title: Watch the Computer
Other Curriculum Objectives that can be addressed by this lesson plan English
Language Arts 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 4.1; Information Skills 2.1; Computer Skills: (Gr. 5) 2.4
Competency 2.4: Identify telecomputing terms (e.g., modem, upload, download,
bulletin board, E-mail).
Measure 2.4.2: Identify telecomputing terms and features while observing the
teacher using an electronic bulletin board service or simulation.
Materials Needed: A computer equipped with a modem, telecomputing software, and
phone line; an LCD panel is optional; an account with an online service; a copy of the Activity Sheet for each student.
Time: One class session.
Terms: Telecomputing, Modem, Upload, Download, Bulletin Board Service, E-mail,
Log on, Log off, Internet, Information Highway
Glossary of Telecomputing Terms
Grade 5 Glossary
- 1. Remind the class that computers can be used as tools for accessing information and
communicating with other people.
- 2. Review the following telecomputing terms with the class: modem, upload, download,
bulletin board service, e-mail, log on, log off.
- 1. Take the students in your class to the telecomputing station in your school.
- 2. Explain to the class that you are going to demonstrate an online session and that
they are to observe the session and label the different things that you do during the
session using the telecomputing terms they have learned.
- 3. Hand out a copy of the Activity Sheet to each student.
- 4. They should write the term on the numbered lines in the order that they observe the
activity or recognize the feature/item used.
- 5. Conduct an online session, explaining each step that you take. Be careful not to say
any of the terms on the activity sheet. You might use the Online
Script as a guide for the session.
As students observe the teacher conducting an online session, have them identify each
step using the correct telecomputing terms.