Computer Skills Curriculum
Paper Writing by Word Processor
Other Curriculum Objectives that can be addressed by this lesson plan
English Language Arts: 1.1,
2.1, 2.3; Computer Skills: (Gr.
7) 2.1; Information Skills 1.4, 1.5;
Science (Gr. 7) 2.4, 5.2
Competency 2.1: Identify terms related to computer-generated productions (e.g.,
desktop publishing, WYSIWYG, clip art, hypertext, multimedia, laserdisc, CD-ROM, VCR,
Measure 2.1.2: Given a report topic, use a word processing program to write a
paper describing ways a computer could be used to create and present the report.
Materials Needed: Computers with word processing software and printer.
Time: Two, 45 minute sessions in class; two to three sessions in the computer
lab; additional time for research for reports.
Terms: desktop publishing, clip art, hypertext, multimedia, laserdisc, CD-ROM,
With the Students:
- Teach the lesson, Production Time, before beginning the activities in this lesson.
- Provide an overview of the lesson activities.
- Divide the students into cooperative groups of 3-5 students.
- As a class, discuss different ways that reports can be created and presented to others.
This should include formats that students have used in the past as well as ones that they
only know about (but haven't used).
- Assign cooperative teams a specified piece of equipment (i.e., laserdisc, CD-ROM,
scanner, etc.). The team should discuss ways that this equipment could be used to help
create or present a report.
- Each cooperative team should present the piece of equipment to the class.
- Tell students that they will now have the opportunity to create their "dream
- Assign students the topic "Hurricanes."
- Have students think about this topic and ways that they could create and present the
- Provide time for students to begin an outline or draft of a paper describing the ways
they could create and present a report on hurricanes using computers.
Do a report on hurricanes or some other weather phenomenon, using some of the
computer-generated production techniques available.
Students are given the topic "Hurricanes." Students use a word processing
program to write a paper describing how they could create and present a report about
hurricanes using a computer.